1 15-ounce (500 g) cans chickpeas
2 garlic cloves, minced
handful of parsley, minced
handful of cilantro, minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 large egg
approx 1/4 cup flour or chickpea flour
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
A generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper
toppings of hummus, avocado, tomato, and sprouts.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas in a colander. Pour them into a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher.
- Add the garlic, parsley, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper. Mix it up really well with your hands. Add the egg and continue mixing. Add the flour and continue mashing the mixture around with your hands until all is well-combined.
- Form into thin patties.
- Heat an even layer of olive oil over medium heat in a large pan. When a tiny bit of the chickpea mixture starts bubbling and frying, the oil is ready.
- Fry until golden brown ( approx 5-7 mins per side), remove and let sit on kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Add toppings of hummus, avocado, tomato, and sprouts.